- As Obama tries to weather storm, Republicans pounce on opportunity [Kennebec Journal (Augusta, ME)]
- REP. DAVE CAMP HOLDS A HEARING ON THE IRS AND CONSERVATIVE GROUPS [Political Transcript Wire]
- Powerball fever hits region
- Commuter Trains Collide After Derailment In Bridgeport; 70 Injured
- Powerball, at $600 million, now second-largest jackpot in U.S. history
- Design of new Metro-North cars may have saved lives in train crash, officials say
- Commuters face nightmare as search begins for cause of Metro-North crash
- Gary Stevens on Oxbow becomes oldest jockey to win Preakness; no Triple Crown this year
- Oxbow gives Lukas sixth Preakness title; Orb fourth
- UPDATE: Car hits crowd of hikers; at least 50 injured, 4 seriously hurt
|National News||World News||Health News||Entertainment|
|Business & Finance||Technology||Sports||General Interest|
News Story of the Day
Updated May 18, 05:34 PM
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. - A pair of persistent wildfires continued to burn in the hills and mountains around Interstate 5 north of Los Angeles on Saturday, although authorities were slowly getting the upper hand.
A new fire that broke out Friday, the third major blaze in the area in a week, quickly surged to 712 acres Friday and briefly threatened an elementary school and about 20 homes.
Some 350 firefighters, who battled both flames and unpredictable winds, were able to hold the line against it Saturday morning, however.
Sports Story of the Day
Updated May 18, 07:48 PM
BALTIMORE - Oxbow put D. Wayne Lukas in the record books again with an upset of Orb in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, giving the Hall of Fame trainer his 14th win in a Triple Crown race.
Kentucky Derby winner Orb was unable to find his rhythm after breaking from the rail, and never challenged in finishing fourth.
The loss ended any chance of a Triple try at the Belmont Stakes in three weeks, extending the drought to 36 years since Affirmed in 1978 became the 11th horse to sweep the Derby, Preakness and Belmont.
|Provide as much information as you know, and click Get Map.|
Wind: 9 MPH S
|Information provided by YellowBrix, Inc.|